DarthFrazier

Detachment Members
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by DarthFrazier

1. 23 hours ago, VaderAZ said:

I’m certainly not an expert with electronics, but noticed the mic you linked had a female XLR plug.  When I was searching I found a lot more female plugs than the male type needed for the Boss input. Just thought I’d mention it, perhaps you’re aware and have a workaround plan.

Thanks. I would never have known that a male plug was needed based on the Boss manual.

2. 1 hour ago, VaderTime said:

How do you connect the kill switch?

It's installed in the speaker wire before the Y-splitter. It's a cheap on/off button that breaks the circuit when pressed. I can press it when fully suited up and gloved. I've used it for years and it's helpful for brief sound breaks when away from the public, taking a break, or trying to converse with fellow troopers. 

Note: After 10 minutes with no signal, my new JBL speakers shut off to reserve power. The manual "on" buttons are difficult to reach when fully suited up, so I must be careful using the kill switch not to trigger the power saver mode.

• Like 2
  3. 21 hours ago, JSmails said:

I played with the dual JBL Go2’s last night. Awesome, LOUD sound. Clear. I can’t wait to try to get these in my armor. I’d also like to use them for Kylo as they are way louder than the Everplay. The Everplay is certainly thinner, but not by much. The Go2’s are a great choice IMO. 

Agree. I have mine all mounted up. Just need to get out and troop them live for a full test. August, where did you decide to mount yours?

4. This is such a great discussion. I'm learning so much about this sound system.

Here are two cardioid microphones I've got on my list for the Boss:

$49 — Behringer BD440 Headworn Cardioid Microphone: I like the tiny profile of this. Hope it might stay in place better.

$80 — Shure WH20 Dynamic Headset Microphone: XLR connector version currently out of stock. One of our builders is using this

Interesting article comparing condenser vs. cardioid microphones...

• Like 1
  5. Thanks for all the intel. I appreciate your help, Mark. I think the Boss could be a viable option for Vader, especially for those willing to spend a touch more than the Zoom setup. And, there's no rush on anything with this. My Zoom is working fine. Once I get my new bell speakers set up, I should be in good shape for a while. The Boss is not a rush or a panic. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 15 hours ago, Occanum said:

Interesting note on volume, AUX IN skips the unit's internal audio controls. Dependent on speaker volume. Meaning you can adjust MIC IN independently.

Matt: Thanks SO much for that test. I really appreciate it. (Also fun to see the man behind the mask.)

So, the Boss unit controls the volume output of the microphone/modulated signal. But, there is no separate volume control for the AUX input—and that signal is just passed through and patched into the outbound sound signal, correct? The Boss manual states that for the AUX-in: "Use the controls of the connected device (audio player) to adjust the volume." So, that should work for balancing the breathing sound from an MP3 player with volume control. Does that make sense? A few other questions: 

• It's not stated in the manual, but I assume the unit will play both voice modulation and AUX signals at the same time. Can you confirm?
    • Which "out" port are you using to connect to your speakers (headphones, or line?)
    • What connector does that port use? (XLR plug or stereo 3.5mm mini-plug?)

Note: I also saw that there is a microphone sensitivity adjustment, so that could help with eliminating ambient noise. 

7. On 10/23/2023 at 4:53 PM, Occanum said:

Didn't know this was a feature. Can you post a link to the documentation. I'd be willing to experiment.

I found the documentation—here's a link to the manual. You can add a second sound signal via the line in port. But, the "looper" will not record that signal. It also deletes any loop when you turn off the unit. So, it looks like I'll need to also add a small MP3 player for breathing sounds via the line-in.

Also, I'll continue this discussion over on my WIP. @Occanum/Matt—apologies for hijacking your thread on this product. 

8. 5 minutes ago, VaderTime said:

Gotcha. Makes sense. I’m just looking for the simplest quality voice and the Boss seems like it may be worth the try.

It looks good to me too. It's more pricey than the Zoom setup. And, I don't know if its built-in loop tool will provide breathing. I'm just starting my review. I'll report back here or on my WIP as I get into it...

9. 1 minute ago, VaderTime said:

I am looking at my system and the easier the better. I have some Shure SM35 microphone already for something else - would it work well?

No idea. I'm a very experienced Vader, but just getting started with the Boss VE5.

If you are looking at the BOSS you'll need to study the specifications to know if your microphone will work. I'm starting my research based on Matt's initial post in this thread and testing smaller speakers with my current Zoom setup. I'm then considering moving over to the BOSS. Here's a link to the user's manual download page.

10. 14 minutes ago, VaderTime said:

What do you mean by under the bells?

We are both testing the option to hide very small JBL Go2 speakers under the shoulder bells. These are 3.4 x 2.8 x 1.3 inches in size and very small. They will replace transducers, which are FANTASTIC for those who have room under their armor. My recent weight gain is interfering with the transducer sound quality.

11. On 10/27/2023 at 10:55 AM, JSmails said:

You’ve convinced me Doug. 

I've not totally convinced myself!

But, this morning I made paper mockups of the small JBL Go2 speakers for size. They fit under my bells with plenty of room for arm movement. I'll start by purchasing these and then move toward dissecting my sound system and consideration of the Boss. I'm waiting to know if it can also provide the breathing. 

12. On 10/24/2023 at 1:29 PM, JSmails said:

You can also just hook up the Everplays to your Zoom.

Yes, of course.

I'm just exploring the Boss for potential ease of use. I find the Zoom difficult to program after significant time passes. I removed the components from the housing and that makes it challenging to remember each button action. Also, since I'll likely add new speakers with built-in amps and a simple line-in signal, I can get rid of my amp. Frankly, I'm tired of cobbling things together to save money. I want an amazing voice and a simpler, reliable system. So, I'm looking at everything. 

• Like 2
  13. On 10/23/2023 at 4:53 PM, Occanum said:

Didn't know this was a feature. Can you post a link to the documentation. I'd be willing to experiment.

During research for audio equipment, I'll sometimes check Sweetwater or Crutchfield since they always include detailed product info and offer great support. (Their prices are high, so I don't always buy there.)

The page I linked above states, "What's more, the VE-5's built-in phrase looper lets you create harmony parts or vocal percussion beats and perform over them live. " They also show it in use on the video. It would be great for the breathing loop. I hope it has the ability to import an MP3—maybe by connecting to the sound input in place of the microphone. 

Thanks in advance for any help on this. 

14. I'm seriously considering this setup for Vader. I've run out of room under my armor for transducers which had worked well until I gained weight. My only concern is the lack of noise-canceling adjustment—something I've always relied on with my previous voice systems. This system is a bit of an investment and I'm leery to not have that option. Thoughts?

Edit: OK, second issue. Can you use the "phase looper" mentioned in the product description to provide the breathing loop?

15. On 6/15/2022 at 8:19 PM, JSmails said:

Suffice it to say, it makes it easy to turn the sound off, so I can breathe as loud as I feel, I can talk to other troopers, handlers, laugh, etc. without the voice on. Then when someone is coming in for pics or whatever, I can turn the voice back on and interact. 

I put a simple push button "kill switch" under the edge of my chest armor. I can easily press it on or off with my gloved finger. It breaks the circuit to my transducers. It's been great when I want to have those side chats, or while waiting around and I want to mute everything.

• Like 1